Purpose and scope
The purpose of this privacy statement is to let users of the Employment Learning Modules know when we may collect personal information and what we may do with it. We do not use, share or disclose personal information collected or received through this website except as set out in this statement.
This privacy statement applies to personal information collected through the Employment Learning Modules: https://employment.elearning.ac.nz. It also includes how personal information is treated by our Employment New Zealand contact centre.
Collection, storage and use
No need to disclose personal information except for the purposes of providing you the service. You can use https://employment.elearning.ac.nz without disclosing any personal information except for your name, email address, role and how you found out about the eLearning. This information is only used to provide you the service and understand how you discovered the service.
Voluntary disclosure of personal information
You may choose to voluntarily provide personal information through this website (eg in ‘ask a question’, or feedback forms). This information may be viewable by site administrators, MBIE staff (as appropriate) and third-party contractors who may administrate or work on the site.
Holding of information
When you provide personal information, it will be held by MBIE. It may be stored or accessed on behalf of MBIE by authorised third parties (such as third-party contractors) to the extent that is necessary, for example for them to administrate or work on the site. We will store and keep your personal information secure in accordance with the Privacy Act 1993 and agents will be subject to the MBIE's information security and privacy requirements.
Disclosure of information
MBIE will generally not share personal information that is provided or collected through this website, unless it is necessary to do so for the purpose for which you gave us the information or where you consent. MBIE will not otherwise disclose personal information provided or collected through this website unless required or otherwise permitted by law.
If you have been enrolled in the Employment Learning Modules by someone else, or enrolled yourself following an invitation from someone else (such as your employer, a business or any other third party) via the “organisation self-enrolment feature”, then you consent to that third party having access to information.
Use of personal information
MBIE will generally only use personal information provided to us through this website for the purpose you provided it (e.g. to administer, evaluate and improve the site, to improve our services, or to action or respond to the information provided). We may also use personal information provided to us through this website for other reasons permitted under the Privacy Act 1993 (e.g. with your consent, for a directly related purpose, or where the law permits or requires it).
As part of our commitment to providing the best possible service to our customers we record all inbound and outbound telephone calls at our contact centre. This helps us to identify ways that we can provide you with a better service.
We record calls for staff training purposes, helping us to improve the quality of our customer service and to ensure the information we provide is consistent and accurate.
We understand your personal information is important to you, and we are committed to protecting your privacy. We store the recordings securely for two years and destroy them after this period.
Unless we have lawful reason for withholding this information, it will be made available if you request access to a transcript or copy of your call by emailing the Privacy Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Records and retention of personal information
MBIE will only retain personal information as long as it is required for the purposes for which the information was collected and may lawfully be used.
Where any information provided (which may include personal information) to or through this site constitute public records, it will be retained to the extent required by the Public Records Act 2005.
MBIE may also be required to disclose information under the Official Information Act 1982 or to a Parliamentary Select Committee or Parliament in response to a Parliamentary Question.
Rights of access and correction
You have the right to:
- Find out from us whether we hold personal information about you
- Access that information; and, if applicable
- Request corrections to that information
If MBIE has a good reason for refusing a request for correction, you are entitled to request that a statement be attached to the information of the correction that was sought but not made.
If you want to check personal information that we hold, please write to:Privacy Officer
Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment
PO Box 5488
For more information on the privacy laws in New Zealand and contact details for the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, please visit the Privacy Commissioner's website.
Statistical information and cookies
We may collect statistical information about your visit to help us improve this site. This information is aggregated and non-personally identifying. It may include:
- Your IP address;
- The search terms you used;
- The pages you accessed on our website and the links you clicked on;
- The date and time you visited the site;
- The referring site (if any) through which you clicked through to this Site;
- The device you used to access the site;
- Your operating system (e.g., Windows XP, Mac OSX);
- The type of web browser you use (e.g. Internet Explorer, Chrome); and/or
- Other incidental matters such as screen resolution, the release of your installed Flash version and the language setting of your browser.
The statistical information referred to above will be viewable by site administrators and certain other Ministry of Business, Innovation and Employment staff. It may also be shared with other government agencies.
Browser or ‘web’ cookies are small text files that are sent by a website and stored on your computer's hard drive. Cookies are generally used to improve your experience of a website (eg by remembering preferences you have set) and to track site usage.
You can manually disable cookies at any time - check your browser's 'Help' to find out how (disabling cookies will not affect your ability to use this website).
- The Employment Learning Modules have security measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse and alteration of information under our control.
- In order to maintain the cyber security of the Employment Learning Modules and information, Employment Learning Modules are subject to ongoing monitoring (including activity logging), analysis and auditing.
- We may use information about your use of our websites and other IT systems to prevent unauthorised access or attacks on these systems or to resolve such events.
- We may use this information even if you are not involved in such activity.
- MBIE may utilise services from one or more third party suppliers to monitor or maintain the cyber security of its systems and information.
- These third party suppliers will have access to monitoring and logging information as well as information processed on Employment Learning Modules and other IT systems.